March 5, 2012 § 1 Comment
Painting with watercolours on my new Arches watercolour papers. The papers are really thick/heavy, so they don’t buckle or warp even if I haven’t stretched or taped them.
February 19, 2012 § 2 Comments
I have acquired two types of watercolour papers which I intend to try out.
Arches: Aquarelle Arches 640 g/m²
Lana: Lanaquarelle 640 g/m²
March 12, 2011 § 8 Comments
Today’s the day of the opening of my exhibition.
These two photos show some of the works that are featured: My book about trees, and 4 watercolour paintings (of the moon, foliage, roots and timber). I’ve also included photographs, and drawings of a forest and a large tree drawing in this exhibition.
The title of the exhibition is Naturalis Historia: The Natural History of Trees (named after the encyclopedic work by Pliny the elder).
March 9, 2011 § 1 Comment
I haven’t used masking fluid in a long time, but now that I’ve started painting with watercolours again, I thought I’d give it a go.
First I drew the outlines of the areas I wanted to be white, and applied the fluid (Winsor & Newton Colourless Art Masking Fluid).
The fluid is quite thick, so it wasn’t so easy painting details – even though I used a thin brush. My advice is that you don’t use your favourite brush for this. The fluid dried quickly on the brush and it was difficult to clean the brush without doing damage to it in the process. And perhaps a synthetic brush is better for this purpose than one made from real hair.
Also, don’t use a paper that is too soft. If you do, the paper might get damaged when you the mask off (because the masking fluid might have stuck to the paper when it dried).
When the mask had dried, I applied light washes of green and yellow (Yellow-green and Cadmium Lemon), with a no 16 brush.
After that, I removed the mask:
You can use an eraser to remove the mask. Make sure that everything is completely dry before you do this!
Next, I began painting the foliage. The white areas were where the light shines through the foliage, and the parts where the branches are visible through the leaves.
(I used a no. 6 brush, and mixed Green and Yellow-green for the leaves, and Black and Sepia for the branches.)
November 11, 2010 § Leave a comment
A watercolour painting is nearing completion…
It’s been in progress for quite some time.
September 21, 2010 § 1 Comment